Which means if I find other books/spines we like *more* before 2013 arrives, I can switch things around.
This page is more for my own reference, than anything else, so I'm going to be updating our proposed selections as we go along,
Pop over to hslaunch to see a Sample Page (1 only) of our intended schedule for Ancients. The ages of our children using this schedule will be (Bobs) 13, and, (Daisy) 11.
The link to the first 16 weeks of our now completed Ancients schedule can be found in this post.
I am planning with a mix of these items:
- The Ancients Textbook from Biblioplan along with their maps, Cool History for Upper Middles (review/research/comprehension and a testing of knowledge), and many of their book recommendations.
- A few of the books from Sonlights old Core G - along with their separate book notes, parts of Credo, and ,
The Heavens Declare- bible verse CD's produced by the Harrow family.
- Added in some scripture songs by Esther Mui
- Various books we already have on our shelves.
For Bible Study during lesson time:
- The King James Bible - also used as a history spine. Our main spine really!
- (including the option of the audio version of the KJV read by Alexander Scourby.
- Greenleaf Guide to Old Testament History or
Balancing the Sword(decisions, decisions. The Old Testament History guide is available as a free download via lulu - I'm now able to read and compare our two options. )
- The Victor Journey Through the Bible (was maybe? Now - Yes.
- Remembering God's Awesome Acts (just select portions of this)
- Daisy: What the Bible is All About
Our local library has a good selection of other books we can incorporate into our studies - so I'm working on a select-from-the-book-basket concept for 2013, which means a more open schedule.
The children will be selecting and studying more from books of their choice, than just reading titles prescribed by me, or another scheduler ☺
Other books for reference:
- Kingfisher Datelines of World History
- DK Visual Encyclopedia
- Illustrated Dictionary of Mythology - Wilkinson
The Roman Empire and the Dark Ages - Caselli (History of everyday things)
The True Story of Noah's Ark - Dooley
& we're going to comparison read these next two picture books:
Adventures in the Ice Age - by Bailey, and, Life in the Great Ice Age - by Oard
Ancient China:DK Tales of the Dead. Ancient China - Ross (story format)
Life and Times. Confucius and Ancient China
(story format) Silkworms - Johnson
Silk Route ~ Major
DK Eyewitness. Ancient Egypt
DK Tales of the Dead. Ancient Egypt - Ross (story format)
Adventures in Ancient Egypt - Bailey
Adventures in Ancient Greece - Bailey (story format)
In Search of Troy. One man's quest for Homer's fabled city - Caselli (a blend of modern & ancients)
Discoveries Ancient Rome (wonderful illustrations)
People who Made History in Ancient Rome - Levy
Life and Times: Julius Caesar and the Romans (story format)
A Day in the Life of A Roman Centurion (story format)
The Everyday Life of a Celtic Farmer - Caselli (story format- set in AD 43)
Around the time of Jesus Christ:Living in the Time of Jesus of Nazareth - Connelly
Life at the Time of Jesus - Feinberg-Vamosh
end of part 1 ☺
To be continued (maybe) with literature and audios ....
Part 2: Our Ancients book list can be found here