We've just had 2 weeks of term break and are now back to scheduled learning. Ho-hum ;)
It feels like we've been going full pace during term break attending to around -the-home projects and tasks, which is so good as it's nice to start a new term with a sense of achievement during the weeks away from scheduled learning.
I think I'll skip creating weekly updates from now on and just go for Our Month Ahead posts as this years reading assignments, and book lineups, are intentionally pretty spread out to allow time for all the other subject areas we are working in; and, not sure about other highschooling years, educating at home, families but our reading time has definitely morphed into a vastly different look this year: the sheer number of books we read has become less and yet we discuss so much more (age and maturity stage of teens) - and the literary goals do not seem to be, so much, about completing the books but about immersing ourselves in the thoughts and discussions surrounding the themes in the books..... along with rabbit trails, which happen constantly and are creating some delight filled distraction.
Beneath are the titles we completed during the end of April , along with the books to be read during May. (I'll update with any extras as we go along. The C beside each item means completed.)
Our literary/book basket selections for this Month:
- Rose Book of Bible Charts, Maps & Timelines p.35 & 36 AD200 - 500 Church Hist C
- Start Here: Doing Hard Things Right Where You Are ~ Harris & Harris C
- TGC: Classics of British Literature ~ Sutherland Anglo-Saxon Roots—Pessimism and Comradeship
- Anglo-Saxon Poetry (selections) Greenleaf Guide Deor's Lament, The Seafarer, The Wanderer, Caedmon's Hymn, The Dream of the Rood C
- Beowulf GG the illustrated version is a family favourite
- Spring Tide ~Mary Ray Roman. AD 311 C
- The Faerie Queen ~ Edmund Spenser 1590's epic poem (unabridged audio) C
- I Needed a Neighbour ~ St. John Refugees/ Africa/ Modern Times C
- The Witch's Brat ~ Rosemary Sutcliff England AD 1121 C
- The Bet ~ Chekhov Short story C
- The False Prince ~ Nielsen C (audio opt for series) clean story. not for sensitive children - separation from parents, family murdered, mistreatment of children. Some parents may not appreciate the initial conduct/character of the children, adults in this series. Daisy's reading the books.
- The Runaway King ~ Nielsen C
- Journey to the River Sea ~ Ibbotson C
- Samurai's Tale ~ Haugaard Japan 1500’s C
- Flame-Coloured Taffeta ~ Sutcliff England. 1750+ C Daisy really enjoyed this book. Contains reference to 'witches and potions' in that area.
- Cadfael abridged audiobooks. select a few
- Rose Book of Bible Charts, Maps & Timelines p.35 & 36 AD200 - 500 Church Hist
- How to Read Slowly ~ James Shire p.90-148 Fiction section
- The Student Leadership Challenge ~ Kouzes & Posner p.163-231
- Leaders Who Last ~ Kraft Pt 3 audio
- Sparkling Cyanide ~ Christie audio Mature themes, inc. marital unfaithfulness
Family Book Basket:
- Bible (KJV) St. John Ch: 11-12
- Short Stories By Saki ~ H.H. Munro car time audio free. library loan
- Then Sings My Soul BK 3 ~ Morgan Select songs
- Church Ages Dn to read, discussion
- The Conscientious Objector US documentary youtube. Post ANZAC day go-along. Not sure of content yet?
- The Victorian Slum BBC DVD C
- Tudor Monastry Farm DVD
Post a Comment